News from the Chamber

Central Iowa Business Conference featured on We Are Iowa

The Urbandale Chamber of Commerce organizes the Central Iowa Business Conference every year for business professionals to connect and learn.  This year's conference features Daymond John, NY Times best-selling author, world-renowned entrepreneur and Shark Tank...

Urbandale Chamber of Commerce Hires Two Summer Interns

Two new interns have recently been hired at the Urbandale Chamber of Commerce. One of the interns, Vanessa Chavez, is an East High School student. After hearing about the Urbandale Chamber through a DMACC program, she was placed here. For Chavez, this is her first...

Urbandale Chamber Embarks on an Olympic-Sized Adventure

From the Parthenon to the Olympic Stadium, the buildings of Greece have a rich history to them.  On October 14th, 2021, the Urbandale Chamber will be departing for a ten-day trip to Greece.  Those who go will be treated to four nights in a first class Athens hotel and...

Explore the Beauty of the French Riviera with the Urbandale Chamber

Imagine yourself laid back on a beach chair as you soak up the sun along the Mediterranean cost.  After a long day of adventure and travel, you've finally gotten a chance to relax.  As the waves come crashing in, you reflect on the rich history and stunning sites...

Pella Corporation Finds the Right Home in Urbandale

What could you do with an extra hour or two a day? It’s a question that Pella Corporation leaders have been asking as they look for ways to attract and retain top talent to this Iowa-based window and door manufacturing company. While the innovative firm has been...

Secretary of State, Paul Pate to speak in Urbandale

The Urbandale Chamber of Commerce Young Professional group, genYP, invited Secretary of State, Paul Pate to speak on Monday, June 24th from 4:30 - 5:30 p.m. at the Urbandale Chamber of Commerce office, located at 2830 100th Street, Ste. 110, Urbandale. Secretary Pate...

8 Ways to Break Out of Any Business Rut

8 Ways to Break Out of Any Business Rut  It’s Time to Get Inspired Again! Inspiration comes in many forms. For those of us operating businesses, innovative ideas and new ways of thinking can offer a fresh perspective and further ignite our growth. The 2019 Central...

Jane Emry-Becker named 2019 Urbandale Educator of the Year

The Urbandale Chamber of Commerce surprised the 2019 Educator of the Year on May 29th with a balloon bouquet as we entered her classroom with a room-full of kids, teachers and Chamber Board members.  Mrs. Emery-Becker has been teaching elementary music since 1990. ...

Have you found yourself out of work?

In the 15-years I've been at the Urbandale Chamber, I have counseled a number of people who have found themselves out of a job.  It isn't technically in my job description, but when you build so many relationships over the years, it becomes an important part of what I...

Shopping online is so convenient, why bother shopping local?

There are a number of reasons to think before you buy when spending dollars.  If businesses and governments in the Greater Des Moines area shifted just 5% of their overall spending to local vendors, it would generate an economic impact of $1 Billion for the region. ...

Hidden gems, untapped talent

Attracting and retaining talent has been the number one issue business owners talk to me about when discussing struggles.  It isn't a secret we are at record-low unemployment rates and companies are struggling.  Even so, there are segments of our population overlooked...

I’m so busy, why should I take time to network?

Have you ever had one of those days with deadlines looming, the phone ringing and the day seems to run you instead of you running the day?  Of course, we all have.  Have you ever been sitting at your desk or on a work site and thought, I really don't want to go to the...

2019 Committee - (Picture was taken in front of Centennial Shelter built in 2017 with the help from a 4th Celebration donation)

The Urbandale 4th of July committee is a group of volunteers who come together annually to organize and plan the celebration.  Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Matt Blake, urbandale4thofjuly@gmail.com