- Give forwarding address to Post Office four to six weeks before moving
- Charge accounts, credit cards
- Subscriptions: Notice required six to eight weeks.
- Friends and relatives.
- Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city if necessary.
- Arrange credit references.
- Notify company of new location for coverages: life, health, fire and auto.
- Gas, light, water, fuel, garbage.
- Get refunds on any deposits made.
- Return cable boxes if necessary.
- Laundry, newspaper, lawn care, snow removal, changeover of service.
Medical, Dental, Prescription Histories
- Ask doctor, dentist, optometrist, chiropractor etc. for referrals
- Transfer needed for prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays.
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
- Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.
Don’t forget to:
- Empty freezer, plan use of foods.
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator. Place charcoal to dispel odors.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs and/or clothing before moving; have them wrapped.
- Check with your moving counselor/company — insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
- Plan for special care needs of infant or pets.
- Check with Agriculture Department of new area to see if they have restrictions on plants.
On moving day:
- Carry enough cash to cover cost of moving services and expenses until you establish new banking services.
- Carry jewelry and important documents yourself or used registered mail.
- Plan for transporting of pets.
- Let close friends or relatives know route and schedule, including any overnight stops. Use them as message headquarters.
- Final check of old residents: double-check closets, drawers and shelves to make sure they are empty.
- Leave old keys, garage door openers, broiler pans, landscape/house plans and instruction manuals needed by new owner with the Realtor.
At your new address:
- Obtain certified checks or cashier’s checks necessary for closing real estate transaction (check title company for details).
- Check on service of telephone, gas, electricity, water and garbage.
- Check pilot light for stove, water heater and furnace.
- Have appliances checked.
- Ask mailman for mail he may be holding for your arrival.
- Have new address recorded on driver’s license.
- Visit city offices and register for voting.
- Register car within five-days after arrival in state or penalty may have to be paid when getting a new license plate.
- Obtain inspection sticker and transfer motor club membership.
- Apply for state driver’s license.
- Register family in your new place of worship.
- Register children in school.
- Arrange for medical services: doctor, dentist, veterinarian, etc.
- Find businesses in the area such as grocery stores, banks,
- Click HERE to find out ways to get involved in Urbandale.
- Check with your CPA or accountant for tax deductible moving expenses.